Should the worst happen and you have suffered damage or loss of your vessel we will help you in every way possible but in the first instance you must help yourself. Taking positive steps to control your own claim will be recognised by your insurers and lead to a quicker and more acceptable conclusion. Use the bucket and don't just wait for the helicopter to arrive!
- Always do what you can to limit the damage or salvage the vessel.
- Obtain the services of a competent yacht yard or repairer to make a temporary fix if vessel is un-seaworthy or if the vessel is exposed to further damage
- Keep a good record of events, times, costs etc.
- If the damage has been caused by another party, get a witness to the event or written admission of liability.
- Check your policy wording to determine if the damage or cause is not an excluded event. Be aware of the excess applicable to your policy
- Once the vessel is safe, obtain estimates for repair/replacement, two if possible, as soon as possible from boatyards or repair facilities but do not authorise or proceed with repairs until instructed to do so by underwriters.
- You must not without our prior consent admit liability, make any offer to settle or compromise any claim against you. Any correspondence from any third parties should be passed onto us.
- You should notify the police as soon as possible of any theft, malicious damage or other crime involving your vessel or any insured items. Make a note of the police crime reference number you are given.
- Retain and look after all broken/damaged items for inspection.
- If racing and you believe the third party to be liable, protest the third party and obtain witness statements if possible.
Yachtmaster Underwriting Authority policies:
- Neptune Marine Trade policies - Download/Print Claim Form
For all other insurers please contact us as soon as possible so that we can advise you further.
(To view the documents, you will need the adobe reader software which is free to download from the Adobe Reader Website)
For absolute emergencies out of hours and at weekends please phone: +44 (0)7704 497693 or +44 (0)7768 279866